Facilities Services and Campus Safety and Security are asking that students stay off the roads today if at all possible. Much like the city, county and state who have pulled plows from the roads, Facilites Services is unable to keep up with clearing the blowing snow. This creates an obvious hazard for students traveling across campus or on city streets in vehicles. Because of the unsafe conditions, Campus Safety and Security will respond to emergency calls but are unable to assist with vehicles that are stuck in the snow.
Travel by foot on campus is possible, but please use extreme care when walking across campus. The cafeteria is running regular hours. Academic buildings, Preus Library and the Regents Center will close at 9 p.m. tonight.
The Blizzard Warning set by the National Weather Service is set to expire at 9 p.m. this evening, but the impact of the storm will last well into tonight and Monday morning.
If you must go out, please practice safe travel (see safety tips below).
Extreme cold safety tips
- Minimize travel as much as you can
- Stay indoors during the worst part of the extreme cold
- If you do go out, dress appropriately for the cold weather
- Cover exposed skin as much as possible
- Layer loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing
- Wear a hat or hood
- Mittens, snug at the wrist, are better than gloves
- Wear warm boots and socks
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold
- Try to stay dry and out of the wind
- Keep a winter survival kit in your vehicle
- Check tire pressure, antifreeze levels, heater/defroster, etc.
- Keep your cell phone charged and with you
- Let someone know where you are going and your intended route
- It is best to travel with someone – carpool!
- If you see someone who appears to be in trouble or at risk due to the cold conditions, please contact Luther Security and/or 911
- Safety and Security will provide escorts on campus
- Safety and Security personnel are on duty 24 hours a day and can be reached at (563) 387-2111
Source: National Weather Service
For more information visit https://www.ready.gov/winter-weather
For information about Wind Chill, charts and calculator visit http://www.weather.gov/bgm/outreachExtremeColdSafety
For road and travel information, dial 511 on your mobile phone.
For #Lutheralert updates visit https://www.emergency.luther.edu
Please use https://www.weather.gov/ as a resource for the most up-to-date weather information available.